Monday, June 18, 2007

Jamestown, R.I. Fools Rules Regatta

On Huckleberries Online they had
a story about the 14th Annual
Cardboard Boat Regatta, at Seneca Harbor
in Watkins Glen. N.Y. that was held June 16th.

It reminded me of one that I use to take my kids
to, in Jamestown, R.I. It was a lot of fun to watch.
But the Jamestown one wasn't restricted to just
cardboard. You could use any house hold item.

I had wondered if they still had them. When I was
reading the Yankee magazine this weekend and
sure enough listed for Rhode Island things to do
for July and August, there was the Jamestown
30th Annual Fools Rules Regatta, listed for
August 18th.

The only rules I remember, were you came to the
town beach with your supplies with in 2 hours of
the starting gun. You had those two hours to build
your boat. Out of anything that you could find in
your household. When they sounded the warning
sound, you had to have your project in the water and
read to go. Then the starting gun went off shortly after.
I don't recall if there was a certain amount
of people you could have to help you get to the finish
line. But it had to be non marine material and it had to
go 500 yards to the finish line.

There were usually about 20 different boats, but rarely
was there more than 3 that made it to the finish line.
When we were there.. I thought they had to go to a
buoy and around it and back to the beach...but I could
be wrong. But as they got near the finish line the crowd
would go crazy, rooting for their choice.

The ones that had the best chance seem to be
the ones with plastic gallon milk jugs involved.
It was wild what people would make their boats
up our of. And I am glad to see it still going into
its 30th year. I think I saw the 2 thru 5th years.

No comments: