Sunday, May 04, 2008

Racing Fillies

As I read in the paper today about 8 Bells tragedy,
it made me think back to the day when Ruffian died.

The papers kept mention of the stallion that died, but
before him, it was Ruffian. Ruffian, who everyone had
their hopes for. And the tears flowed at her death.

I remember the anger of my mother as she yelled at
the television screen. Seemed that some trainer or owner
said something about "the bitch wasn't strong enough to
race". My mother was furious at him.

And then I read, this about the night before the Derby.
Ruffian trainer Whiteley dies
May 3, 2008
Frank Whiteley Jr., the Hall of Famer who trained ill-fated
racing filly Ruffian, died Friday in Camden. He was 93. ...
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A man who answered Whiteley's home
and identified himself as Whiteley's son, Alan, said the famed
trainer had died....

You know, horse racing isn't fun anymore

No comments: