Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Generation lost....

We all hear about the Baby Boomer.
Heck we have heard about them forever.
Baby Boomer this, and that...
I thought I was a baby boomer.. but found
out I was born 5 years too soon to be one.

So what the heck am I?  Maybe the
Greatest Generation that Tom Brokaw
wrote about. But no, I am not that either.
So I went to Google to find out what am I?

There were only really two sites that would
even address my generation.  As most only
wanted to talk about Baby Boomers, or
Millennial's or Generation X or Generation
Y and the up and coming Generation Z.

But these two sites had a name for my age.
THE SILENT GENERATION aka Lucky Few.
What the hell is that? Lucky Few? Silent
Generation? Really? I have never heard of these
terms...

The Silent Generation, also known as the "Lucky Few", were born 1925 through 1942.[20] It includes those who were too young to join the service during World War II. It includes most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.

According to these guys, I just missed the Baby boomers by 3 years.
The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1943 up to the early 1960s, a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates. The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus of a precise date definition.[21] The baby boom has been described variously as a "shockwave"[22] and as "the pig in the python."[23] In general, baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, many commentators have disputed the extent of that rejection, noting the widespread continuity of values with older and younger generations. In Europe and North America boomers are widely associated with privilege, as many grew up in a time of affluence.[22] One of the features of Boomers was that they tended to think of themselves as a special generation, very different from those that had come before them. In the 1960s, as the relatively large numbers of young people became teenagers and young adults, they, and those around them, created a very specific rhetoric around their cohort, and the change they were bringing about.[24]
 
Even took more words to explain the Baby Boomers.
But I guess I should feel lucky, at least
it isn't just a letter, like X.Y.Z.  And what about the next
one.. will they start with numbers being they ran out of
letters?


Well, I am bummed out.  Silent, Lucky Few... that is

like nothing...

2 comments:

marlu said...

Interesting! I had never known I was part of the "Silent Generation." My mother and my teachers would not have used that term for me.
I had heard Baby Boomers were 1946-1964.

Word Tosser said...

Me too, Marlu... my mother and the teachers would hardly call me silent.. in fact I was looking at my old report cards of over 55 yrd ago. and many .. many of them had...Cis likes to talk a LOT... Cis's talking has gotten better.. ....Well, Cis is back talking again.. any help you can give would be appreciated.. but something happen in high school.. because there isn't anything about me talking.. guess bigger school, more students and grouchy teachers, kept me quiet.. lol