Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Race is on…. Holidays


The Race is on…. Holiday
The start of the season of HOLIDAYS...
First up is Thanksgiving…

Many memories of this day over the years.
Some and hopefully wonderful ones.. maybe
even funny ones…  knowing also there is the
down side of this day as well for some… And
hopefully they have made better ones with their
own families..  
Some times there is even disagreement
of where to go... in laws...   whose turn is Thanksgiving?
Who is doing Christmas… hopefully there is an agreement
of each year a different one.. or to make it easier.. maybe
just do your own… and have the in laws come to your
house... Which can be quite a chore for some.. but
remember it is only one day.. and if you are lucky about
3 hours worth…  and then tell everyone you are doing Christmas alone with your own family….  maybe showing up for an hour at each in aw on Christmas eve… 

But back to the fun times of Thanksgiving.. there is a favorite
Uncle or Aunt who will make it entertaining.. or even a grand
parent... Otherwise it could just be a nice time to visit over
a great meal…  That is the kind we had..  Some of you have relatives… and some just have friends.. or even both.
Ours was our own family… meaning mom, dad, brother and myself... with two wonderful friends.. That was my teens anyway...  First was the male, who was like an uncle to us.. he was the brother, my mother never had. And then in our teens we had a wonderful woman join us…  and we call her
Our very own AUNT JO…   Aunt Jo, won my heart, when I was sent to the kitchen as it usually was.. after the meal to kitchen duty.. by myself .. year after year.. Mom figured she did the meal by herself..( did do prep work) I could do the dishes by myself… Along with the week before of the duty to polish ALL of the silverware and etc.. even if we didn’t use it.. it was polished once a year.. and actually we did it together.. so to make sure I did it right… But back to Aunt Jo... when I was sent to the kitchen.. and filling up the one sink with soapy water and the other with hot rinse water… in comes Aunt Jo..  My mother told her that it was my job…. but Aunt Jo persisted.
She came in, said.. “ I will wash, as I don’t know where everything goes.. so you can dry and put it away”  That was the start of my worship of Aunt Jo... It lasted to my last Thanksgiving at home…(AND TO THIS DAY)   and years later when I came back for a couple years....  I am sure she did it for my brother and then my mother later….  She didn’t see it as a chore.. she saw it as a time to visit as well as getting the dishes and etc. done.. 


Those memories and then years later as a wife.. and going to my Aunt Harriet and Uncle Tiny’s over the years... when I lived in Ca. and when I went back for Thanksgiiving.. when I lived out of state…  Great memories with my cousins or my sisters and brothers from another mother…  We still talk about them, with fond memories...

For the past several years.. Thanksgiving has been at our house with a dabble a couple of times to one of our son’s house in Seattle area… But mostly here... We had over the years.. a son and his family come.. and the King’s brother and sister in law…But mostly my daughter and her extended family…  And that will be this year... with sadness of a missing precious son in law, Tim.  But he will be here in our hearts…  as the others we have lost in the past 4 years.. A
Sister, Mother of our out laws, friend, older daughter… but
memories we will have and hopefully the King the prima donna cook, will out do himself, with the turkey and ham.
I am prep cook…

So I wish all of you.. my readers of 12.. lol... with the wish of
A wonderful day..  celebrating those who watch from above and enjoying each other on earth… Make your own memories with your family….  God Bless.. 

No comments: