Monday, November 13, 2006

Am I old? Will I be Obsolete?

One night while bored, I check
on next blog on blogspot. There
are some really weird ones out
there. And many nice ones too.

By the one thing I read or tried to
read is the short version of our
language.

culd = could
pls or plz= please
tmz= I think it was time.. it was the
only word that fit the rest of the sentence.

I think of all those years of spelling test.
All those years of having to ace them.
Which by the way, I didn't.

All those years, I drummed the right
letters in to words with my own children.
Many hours and some times battles of
words to get to the point of at least 8 of 10.
20 of 25.

And now this. When I question this I was told
it is the new quick way of typing. But I got to
ask. How does this work in school when the
teachers have them write essays? What about
spelling test? Do the kids mix it up? Do they
fail the essay because spelling counts and
they don't?

And I guess this proves their point. I got
this in my email the other day......
Believe it or not, you can read it. I cdnuolt
blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd
waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor
of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch
at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat
ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid
deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

And where is this all going to go? What about
my great-grandchildren who will be in school in
5 years or less. And their children. Maybe I am
glad I won't be around to be bugged by this. As
it irritates the heck out of me now.

No comments: