Friday, November 17, 2006

To Daughters and Sons Everywhere

About 16 or 17 years ago I bought this
poem in a booklet form. It was on top of
the Space Needle in Seattle.

I gave it to my daughter. I had one myself...
but lost it. Then I came across it on the
internet and made a copy on the computer
so I would always have a copy.
I did not write this... I give full credit to the author.
It was beautifully written.
I hope you all enjoy it.

I will be leaving for a week.. to enjoy
time with family. So talk at you 11-27-06.

Happy Thanksgiving...
may you have wonderful friends and
great family to enjoy it with...
here is the poem.


Did I tell You?
By Elizabeth Knapp


Did I tell you?
A message to a daughter as she
is almost grown—by Elizabeth Knapp



Now that you are almost grown I look
back and ask myself. Did I tell you?

Did I tell you all that I meant to tell
you, all that I felt was important.

Did I tell you or was it lost in the shuffle
of our everyday lives. The busy
full days, when we taught and didn’t
know it. What did we teach? Was it
strong? Was it good? Will it root you
in something real that will allow you
to grow with a firm and sound foundation?
Did I tell you….

Did I tell you to love, not with a fair
weather love, but with a love that
accepts and cherishes unconditionally.
Love not with a quick and passing
love, but with a love that is a quiet peace
within your heart.

Did I tell you to be thoughtful. Not to be
a martyr or doormat to be trod
upon, but to be aware of other people
and their needs. To meet others with
awareness and within your own frame
work be able to meet them halfway
and on occasion go the other half joyfully.

Did I tell you to be courteous. Not to
display empty manners with no meaning
but to live the courtesy born of caring.
And to express this caring through the
small formalities and customs born of the years.

Did I tell you to be bold. To be not afraid
of the unknown, but to live life to
the fullest and meet each new experience
with joy and anticipation.

And did I tell you to be cautious. To temper
your daring and sense of
adventure with good judgment and consideration.

Did I tell you to serve other people, if
only in a small way. There is growth
and satisfaction in being part of something
larger than yourself and your life
will be richer for knowing this.

Did I tell you to maintain a sense of the past.
To recall and uphold all that is
best and meaningful in our country and
in our society. But never be afraid to
speak out where you don’t believe or where
there is room for improvement.
Work for what you believe, but work in a
positive way within a structure of
order and reason.

Did I tell you to find a part of nature
that speaks to you then know it intimately
and well. For some it is a mountain peak,
for some a windswept beach. Find
your own and in it find your restoration.
Did I tell you to laugh, to dance, to sing.
There is a lot in life that is hard, but
take it as it comes and find the good and
make time to dance.

Did I tell you to be creative to explore the
seed within you. Find your creative
spirit and let it grow.

And did I tell you the joy and challenge of
being a woman. The joy of having
a child… knowing and sharing a new life.
The joy of making a home… the
center but not the limit for the lives of those
you love. The joy of exploring a
third dimension….a world of your own…
discovering an fulfilling your own
capabilities.

Did I tell you these things as we went along
the way? If I did I am humbly grateful.
If I did not then, you must choose
for yourself. If it has meaning,
accept it and make it your own. If it does not,
discard it. Your life is yours to
build as you choose.

DID I TELL YOU……


Copyright 1974 by Elizabeth Knapp
All rights reserved ..published by
the Creative Kitchen
2284 W. Palo Alto Ave, Fresno, Ca. 93711
FOR ALL WHO HAVE WONDERED…DID I TELL YOU?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Will be checking back for your comments on the 27th. Thanks