Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sticker shock

The King and I went grocery shopping.
We went to get our staples so to speak.
Meaning those things you buy fairly often.

And all I can say is holy flaming cows!!!!

The margarine we normally buy, which we
did buy 2 weeks ago.. was $1.69 at that time.
Today... it is $3.19!!!! A $1.50 jump!
Cheese, we buy JalapeƱo Jack cheese by
Tillamook. At our usual store..it has been $6.99.
Today, it was on sale for $8.99 with the price
listed below of normal..$9.94. Two flaming
dollars more.

Apples, were 89 cents 2 weeks ago when
we bought some. Today ...$1.49
Corn 89 cents each.. use to be 2 for $1.
You know how you bought 3 bunches of
green onions for a buck? Well, it was 89 cents
each today..

Then the news explains that for every $1 up or
down that the barrel of gas goes... the rise and
fall is 4 cents for each dollar. And when it goes up
a $1, the gas stations have to ask for the rise
up in price right away. Because they need it to buy the
next tanker full. But now that it has gone down
over $10 a barrel, we still only seen a 4 cents
drop. When it should be a 40 cent drop. Why?
because they are still selling us the expensive
gas to us, and they haven't got the cheap
gas yet. So it could be a couple of weeks
before they drop it. But don't hold your
breath, because if they raise it a barrel,
in the meantime... we won't get any relief.

Sorry, I got to go sit down... my heart is having
palpations. I am still suffering from sticker shock.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I go to the grocery store once a week, and when I get home, I have to lie down with a cold cloth on my forehead. The rising prices are going to cause me to have a nervous breakdown. lol

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. On the up side On the grant we get from the State for the boys, after 14 years, we got a raise. All of $13 a month. Our gas has dropped from $439, to $4.05 here in Home. We are very thankful for the local food bank or we would be in even bigger trouble.