Tuesday, February 21, 2023

WHAT IS IN A NAME?

WHAT IS IN A NAME?

To some of us… a lot..  or at least an irritation.  My bank is changing its name… THEY bought out another bank or merge, depending which article you read… but the deal is my bank took over the other.   Mine … took over the other.  So why do we have to change our name?  Why not have them changed theirs?  Maybe have a vote among all of the customers.  My bank’s name is Columbia..  Now that has some majestic to it… Columbia River, which is a huge river..  running thru the 3 states involved.    Also we have DC… District of ColumbiaColumbia College,   Columbia University just a nice name….. a name to be proud of…

BUT no, they decided to go for the name of the lesser of the two banks..  and name that sounds more like a hmph sound.. of disgust.

Now the actual name is from an Indian tribe out of Oregon. Now don’t get me wrong it has nothing to do with the Indians.  I admire the different tribes.  I admire their culture. All of the tribes.  And no I am not from the want to be tribe..  that is those who make claim of some heritage of any given tribe.  I find that to be an insult to all of the Native Americans… and the white man has screwed them over for over 200 years… So it is not that I am against them..    It is just the sound of the word..

When I Googled the name..   it had two marks against it.. one was about a building the bank owns…  it is named after the bank.. plaza…

The building is one of an unusually large number of properties whose owners are appealing their valuations, seeking to lower their taxes. But as they are required to do, the owners of other buildings seeking to get their valuations lowered paid their taxes in November. The Umpqua Plaza’s owners didn’t—and are racking up interest charges.

Also there is a lawsuit from last year, when they found out a man named Kenneth Casey had used funds from investors.. and some how this bank is in the middle of that..  a Ponsi like scheme, they say..  In my book that is not a good bank to invest in.    Victims Of Marin-Based Ponzi Scheme Given Go-Ahead to Sue Umpqua Bank For Its Alleged Involvement (sfist.com)

Now I am not even going to try to say that I understand banking and investments companies..   but this kind of stink in Denmark, as the old saying goes.

So why did our perfectly fine bank decide to help them out and merge with them.

I have a lot of questions… so going to the bank and see what I can find out..  If nothing else.. there is other banks in this town..  but it is sad, as I have been with this bank and it one other name it had, .. for 25+ years.  And the girls that work there..  are really nice local gals.

I have had this bank account so long, I got it when that branch open up and I have a low account # that is easy to remember and say. 

Why do they try to fix things, when they were not broken..    It is like Sears buying out K-mart who was having trouble..   and it took Sears down with it.. 

So what is in a name..  some times A LOT..  to some people.

 

No comments: