Tuesday, February 16, 2021

NEVER HAVE I WANTED TO BE A TEACHER…

NEVER HAVE I WANTED TO BE A TEACHER…

I endured having children in a small space with me. In a station wagon. 

So there is no way I would ever be a teacher in a room with 25 to 30 some odd kids…  And to cement that into my mind was a time, when the King and I stopped by the middle school by request of a teacher, to drop off pictures of my husband’s horses, as she was going to do a painting of them.  

We tapped on the door, and she came to the door. She turn to the students and told them, she would be just a minute.  As she started to talk to the King of what he had in mind, my face must have mirrored what I was looking at.. The shock look.  She turn around to address the kids..  See when she first started to talk to the King, I saw on boy jump up on his desk and proceed across the room , deck by desk.  Another fit himself in a shelf area, and four girls gathered at one desk.  Upon looking at them and in a calm voice saying that they were to sit at their desk or else..  They return to their desk. And once again she was talking to the King, again my face told what I saw… and she again.. calmly told them, she thought she needed to give them a test to keep their minds busy.  The kids flew back to their desk…..And then we left. 

It reminded me of me with my children of 4 to 8 of them at a time in our station wagon.  Many times, telling them, like other mothers, … IF  I HAVE TO PULL THIS CAR OVER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD… THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY… Now really, if you are a mom, those were similar words…  You know the yelling at each other, the he pinched me… she looked at me.. I was looking out that window…and etc. 

One time I pulled over… I got out of the car, and told them I would beat them bloody, if they got out of the car… (fear of God parenting)  I sat against the hood of the car for a few minutes.. and the noise level was the same… But then a state police man came by and stopped.. The noise level went to quiet.  He came up and asked me if things were ok… I told him.. that I needed a time out while my children got rid of their vocal views.  He looked at the car and kind of laughed..  He said he had to go down the road a bit.. but coming by in about an hour.  And if I was still there, he would stop and have a conversation with the kids.   I told him, I thought just the sight of him, has taken care of a lot of it.. He said ok, but he would check any way…  He left and I got in the car. The kids were quiet… finally one of them said.. So what did he say to you?  I told him, that the officer said, he would be back and if we were still there… he would stop and talk to them.  They were quiet the rest of the way.. 

Another time I pulled over…but sat behind the wheel, with my arms folded. Staring straight ahead… with a mad face…. After about 5 minutes, the car got quiet… my oldest said.. well, Mom, are we going to town or not.  I turn and glared the MOM LOOK…and she turn to the rest and said.. I think we all better be quiet, this is not a good look. 

The only other times I would veer to the road side as fast as I could, was when one of my daughters would say… MY TUMMY FEELS HOT…. That meant that I had a total of a minute and half …if that before she started upchucking.. 

Nope, children in a station wagon was enough for me.. No way did I want 30 in a class room.. .

 

A tip of the hat to all teachers…

 

No comments: