Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Funny stuff you find when you don’t expect it.

Funny stuff you find when you don’t expect it.

 

King and I have been going thru our stuff and downsizing.  So I decided to attack my file cabinet.. I have put it off for at least 20 years… I dabble in it once or twice. And this time turn out the same.  As I picked out one folder and turn it into a 4 days project.

 

It was a folder named 53 BEACON STREET.  A folder that I figured had about 4 pages in it.. turns out it has 44 pages in it.  Beacon Street is where I was raised. Dad was building it when I was born.  We moved in from April to Nov after.

I sat there and read the whole thing.  And then decided that the kids would probably like to read it. So I printed out 6 copies. One for each of the kids I thought would like and  one niece.  She lost her day her dad 7 years ago.. and being this had a lot of my childhood in it with my brother mention, I thought she like it.. we talked and she said YES please.

As I was going thru it and putting it together, there were pages with pictures that I had copied over the years, and gave to my kids the orginials.

Also I went to a folder I had on my computer, as I had started last Nov. something similar, forgetting about 53 Beacon St.   So read that to see if there was any repeats. While there was a couple small ones, I left them in.

 

I had done the file cabinet one over 7 years ago, as I mention my brother in it.. for those who read it could ask my brother about some of it.  The second on, on the computer I had started  because one of the slights of ancestry.com, is you have not family stories.  Only names, and dates and some census papers. They at least give who was still alive and how many where in the house hold and occupation. But no stories. So I thought I would do one on mine for my kids.

So the two of these tales, blend pretty well, and back up of faded pictures.

 

It took me 3 days to get them together, copy on the computer the pages that were in the file cabinet and then print them out times 6.   And then printed out the folder name WHO AM I? that I had on the computer times 6. Many pages, lots of ink later, there is the finished product. And I will be mailing them in the next day or two.

 

It has been kind of fun, visiting old memories of my childhood. Going thru the pictures.  Hope the kids like it. It gives them the stories… about their common mother, who didn’t do anything great…but had a nice childhood.

 

Have you ever thought about doing one for your kids? You might be surprised, they, I bet would love it. Especially if you had not told them about your childhood.

 


funny addition...  after I got this ready to post for today....  I looked up and found out that I actually did the WHO AM I?  wrote it  a YEAR AGO.... Feb. 4th, as I used it for a my blog. 

 

 


No comments: