Wednesday, June 02, 2021

THE PAPER….

THE PAPER….

Today is my first day without a newspaper… I will have withdrawals… no crossword puzzle…   and what ever the latest is..

But our newspaper has gone up so much that it is almost $200 a year.  I remember when I was paying $111 and a tip too. 

To make it worse, the paper has gotten thinner. Total of 8 pages.. that is 4 sheets of paper… Time to read the paper, we have figured out .. (minus doing the crossword) is 1 and half to 2 minutes.  On really rare days, there is an article of interest.  The Sunday paper will be a little bit harder as my favorite part is a column written by some guy name Sid.. He does a wonderful job of bring history to the front and center.  And such a variety.  From WWII, to Romans and all between… and not just wars..  Every week it is interesting and yes, I spend about 15 minutes or so on that alone.  THAT I WILL MISS.

Also the paper besides becoming a shell of what it was, the facts are getting mixed up… One time they even printed the wrong obits for the picture that was shown.. Really must have been sad for the family…. Unless the one who passed had a heck of a sense of humor.   

So I pulled off the bandaid.. I said NO to the request to renew my daily paper.  I surely will miss it, as that is my routine in the morning. And I have always said, I like the ‘IN MY HAND” feel of the paper, The layout on the table, paper…  So I will see how this week will go, and then SUNDAY, without Sid..  

How about you? have you gave up on your paper?  Does your paper cost you almost  $200 a year?  Or are you from the city where the big papers are?  I get it, that Facebook local has faster news.. it is the place to go for what is going on NOW.. and yes, it isn’t always accurate. That is what I counted on the paper to do. Come the next morning with FACTS…but half the time, there is no mention of what happen.. or worse yet, they copied what was on Facebook.   But the record which is the police report is from 2 weeks to a month late… by that time.. who cares.

Oh, well, times are changing..

No comments: