Tuesday, May 03, 2022

The Worel connection….

The Worel connection….

Her name was Josephine…  she was just a tiny thing…  Part English and part Chowtaw… she was born without a first name for the first several months of her life.. She was born in Oklahoma. With the last name of Cornish.  Her English father.  Her mother was the daughter of a Indian chief is the story that I was told.

Josephine didn’t say much about her childhood..  and sadly I had not asked.   I heard more of her marriage life. Which was not an easy one.  She had 7 boys and one daughter..  A daughter she let go live with an acquaintance to protect her from her father… as he was so mean.  

In those days … women did not leave their husbands. They traveled from Oklahoma to Washington state and to Florida.  Not sure in what order or if there were repeats. Oh, yes, in Arkansas as well, as that is where my husband Bill was born. Huntsville.  There were stories of the father being a drinker, and when he was coming home, the boys would sing SHRIMP BOATS ARE COMING… which was a signal of the old man coming.. and to work hard …. Usually weeding the garden or some such task. There were

stories of older boys waiting for him to come home, standing behind the door…. As he use to beat their mother. 

I tell you this, so you will understand that the tiny woman of 5 foot,  if that… was a strong woman. And during a separation (not sure by whose choice) the father died. Which gave Josephine freedom. Her sons were adults except for the last one.   The ..oldest had gone into the Navy… to be followed by 3 more…  the second oldest was a Marine..and one of them went into the Army.  All were out of the service except for 2, I believe.. when the father died.  Which with the son’s living in different states for so many different years.. Josephine traveled to each one, with the youngest.  Oklahoma with the second oldest… California with the rest of the boys and Washington State with her daughter.   She spend many years traveling back and forth among the boys. When most of the sons settled in Washington state, she got her own apartment in Longview, Wa.  

I never knew if Josephine ever worked.. she didn’t when I was in the family.   She was greatly loved by her sons, daughter and grandchildren.  . She was a tough woman.. took no nonsense from any one.. not even her sons,   we daughter in laws made a joking reference of a MA BARKER, type of personality… while we didn’t agree with her from time to time, we all respected her.  She didn’t always side with her sons and would call them out .. if she thought they were out of line. 

I went to her daughter’s house one time after I had dropped off the kids at her son’s house…. Had not seen her in a couple years and was wondering what kind of reception I would get. She was wonderful… she gave me a hug and told me she missed me.  I had the greatest respect for her.. and she taught me how to cut up a chicken..  So GOD BLESS.. you Josephine… hope heaven is treating you well.. and hope the boys that have joined you, are treating you well.

 

 

 

No comments: