Tuesday, August 15, 2023

To this I know to be true.. NOT

To this I know to be true..

Seems I might have used that title a few years back.. and for the same reason why I am using it today..   because the answer was…  and still is today.. I know this to be true??   NOTHING ANYMORE.. 

 I read that there was a police chief of a small town in Marion, Kansas, had a raid on a newspaper..  took all the computers and anything else they thought maybe of use to them.   Why..  well it seems the paper, the chief of police  thought was going to publish a article about the chief affair..  Also there was a restaurant owner who had gotten a DWI..   And SHE thought the paper was going to publish it.  And yes this has political overtones..  as there was a party or meeting that the paper was reporting on.  The restaurant owner..  is upset that the paper found out.. and was going to mention in one of their articles.  But the DWI charge was in public records.. so how does she see that it is a private matter? And what makes her any different than you or I or anyone else who gets a DWI?  It is in public records..  the kind of kicker of the police chief is that the paper had gotten information.. about his affair..BUT decided not to write anything about it because… THEY WERE NOT SURE OF THE SOURCE..  

But how does the Police Chief get to make a raid on a paper?  What happen to freedom of speech?  And there are a lot of papers better know as the scandal  sheets..  that have had articles of questionable  resources and no one raids them.

But in high school.. yes that was over 65 years ago.. I took government and business law…  and we were taught that there was a thing about freedom of speech and freedom of press.    Well, I guess that no longer is true…  so this I don’t know is true anymore..    by the way, didn’t some one write years ago.. that one of the first down fall of government it harassment and closing down newspaper offices?    Just asking..

No comments: