Tuesday, September 05, 2023

School days school days..

School days   school days.. 

The neighborhood quiets down..  The laughter and yelling of children.

The barking of dogs as the children run from one house to another.

All kinds of different classes …different than my days..

We didn’t have new math.. And some other titles I don’t remember because I had not a clue what they are.

We had… the difference between MAY and CAN… did your teacher teach you that in English? I was in high school when I learn that little lesson..  Teachers use to love pulling that one over us kids..  

The use of may or can…  when dealing with asking for the possession of an item.  Do you know?   I had my English teacher pull it on me.. I had asked ..  “can have that pencil?”   She said yes, but when I went to pick it up, she put her hand over it. I didn’t understand, after all she just told me I could have it…  well, I guess she didn’t… because I did not ask if I could have possession.. but asked if it was possible.   Confused yet?   I sure was..  She explain to me that asking if I can have it.. and she had said yes..   that it meant that I had the ability to take it..  but not the permission..  Had I wanted the possession of it ..  I should have said..  MAY I have that pencil..   She said people confuse the two..  I know I was sure confused… even when I went back to my desk with that said pencil.  She was a great teacher.. I am not going to tell you that she was my favorite, as she wasn’t… But I understood after the fact..  Even though she had warned us at the beginning of our senior year..    As she walked around the class room…. telling us,  we better be paying attention to her classes..  That this was our last go around.  And she said “I sure don’t want to hear out of your mouths 5 or more years from now, … “oh, Mrs. Clark, I sure wish I had paid more attention in your class. I have heard that so many times..  I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT FROM YOU.   I want you to pay attention NOW.. do you hear me?  She listened.. and repeated.. DO YOU HEAR ME?  Good, now lets get started.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: