Monday, October 30, 2023

Being of service…..

Being of service…..

Some times, unexpectly we are called to be of service to someone else of need..

My sister in law, was going in for gall bladder surgery ..  her son was going to be with her and help her at home… when she got home..  But Covid.. intervened..  Then his girlfriend stepped up and said not a problem.. BUT.. just days before..  she too, got Covid…    So I stepped up to the plate.. No problem ..  I told her.. I will be there..   After all I had told her husband when he was passing.. I would take care of her..  The King and I.. 

But then I thought.  Ok, I can do the hospital bit.. I will bring a book.. I can do this..  But then I thought.. wow, what if I am boring..  This poor woman would have to put up with me in her home for 2 days.. and a half..

When I was a kid, I only went for a over nighter with one girlfriend..  It went ok, but never had anyone to our house.. Mom didn’t tell me no, just it never happen for someone to come to my house.. Or me to go to another.  So would I be a good overnight guest?   An old broad like me..  boring? 

Well, no problem.. I keep her on the even keel of taking her meds on time, we watch tv.. we talked ..  we watch tv show of buying a house at different towns thru the nation..   Blazing Saddes, Harm’s Way, Blood Alley and many more..  We b.s. a lot…   and LAUGHED..  Talked about our childhood,… And the days and nights went by..  She was up and walking around..  She fixed her dinner…  She carried Belly Boo.. (a pillow, the hospital gives you, so you can cough, so you don’t feel like your guts are going to fall out) ..  We just had a nice time together.. Just the two of us.

Sometimes you volunteer and then second guess yourself. And wonder, how will it go.. will you actually be of a help..   Sunday at noon, I hugged her good bye.. She was doing GREAT… So see, being of service is a nice feeling… to help our fellow person..   Hope you get to do that too… 

Oh, forgot.. did some that late afternoon… for the other generation…  my daughter asked me to fill in with her and her grandchildren.. going to a church HOLLOWEEN party at our church..  The parents were both at work.

So off I went.. in a place of 200 plus of children and parents, and grandparents and me a great..  Wild and crazy time.. Kids playing games, getting candy rewards… And me thinking I am too old for this.. lol.. but it went well, and the boys had a ball.

No comments: