Tuesday, December 21, 2021

We have been warned….

We have been warned….

“You will shoot your eye out”, was the warning on the movie.. Christmas story…

And our parents.. mostly our mothers, told us we will be deaf by the time we got to be her age..

Well, I made it pass that…. As she was in her 40’s… But as time is taking me by at full speed, I am learning she was right.. just it was longer than what she thought.

 Last month, I had a problem with one of my hearing aides, so had to take it back to Costco to have it fixed.  She said, it will take 2 weeks to get it back..  I spun the calendar around in my brain and it came out .. day before Thanksgiving. I told her, ok. That will be just in time for Thanksgiving, so I should be ok.

Well, it was a week and half AFTER Thanksgiving and it wasn’t ok.  

I found out that I have to have BOTH hearing aides in .. in order for a hearing aide to work completely.  I could hear with the one better than I could with NONE.. but barely. 

And it was great to get the other one back as I can hear better.  Not great..  haven’t hear great for years.. About 10 years.. So .. ha ha.. Mom, I made it 20 years more than you thought.

What I have found out by going with only one and not hearing well, AT ALL.. that I join less conversations..  depended on computer and writing instead of talking.. Phone calls were horrible for both sides.. the caller and me. I left the phone answering to the King mostly.

I found myself, isolating myself more.  Not wanting to go anywhere, if I was going to have to listen to anything. 

It didn’t help that the King would get upset with me as well..  until he saw how frustrated I was, and he would apologize for it.

I even bought a cheap pair at Walmart to try to get thru..It helped a little but it too was murder for dealing with phones.

 So I was truly happy with getting the hearing aide back.. Feel more part of life…Even if talking on the phone is still a challenge... I, now understand how the elderly (I know.. I know.. that means me too) in nursing homes get to feel more lonely and distance. 

So for you young people.. take good care of your ears.. you only get one pair.. and hearing aides help.. but they are not that great.

 

 

 

No comments: