Tuesday, December 14, 2021

I did tell you I am not crafty, right?

I  did tell you I am not crafty, right?

Once again, I have proven, I am NOT a craft person.  My youngest daughter keeps trying, but I just don’t have it.

My sweet husband wanted to do ginger bread houses with the boys..   I told him, he could, but count me out.  I just don’t do well.

But yesterday, he dragged me screaming into it. He had bought the boxes of the kits.  How hard can it be, he says.  Well, when you see the results, you will understand how silly that reply is.

I got dragged in, because he was going to help one of the boys and the poor little guy got stuck with me.   

I would tell you that I followed the instructions but they were sadly not a very good one.. I think they figured everyone knew how to do it.. here is the stuff to do it with.  NOT…

First off there were no clear pictures or words to what was what. So it was a guessing game for me.  

Off we go, we see that they painted the front and back with the red.  (look gawdy to me). Then they showed in the big picture how they were stuck to gether. YEA, RIGHT.  First of all the red nor the green pastey stuff did not glue anything together.  It keep falling apart. The clamps that the King has in his garage came to mind but figure it would be over kill. Then the lightbulb went off .. I had icing in the can in the pantry.  So go that and smeared that baby. It started to stay somewhat together.  Leaning it against the box.  As I am doing my best … I happen to catch out of the corner of my eye… the spatula we were using for smearing the coloring on the ends, was swinging by me, on to the side piece  of ginger bread square. By my sweet heart of a great grandson. He was swinging with such glee, (I lowered my head in craft pain.. of oh shit) and I thought.. oh, well, this now has become a tiny house, as I snapped the other side piece in half..  Ah a modern updated tiny house.. lol…  I finally got the sides to all stay together… I put frosting on the plate and stuck it on a plate, and poured out all of the bags of beads, snowflakes and etc.. and slide the plate over to my sweet 2 and half year old great grandson. I showed him to pick up the stuff with his fingers and let them dripple on the house. Which he did with great glee.

Now on to the older boys house, as the King had deserted the ship, when he could not get the sides to glue together and they all collapsed.  And his had one side missing, so he too had snapped the side in half.. wa la.. another modern day tiny house..

Now this one was a challenge. The sides did not exactly match.  So it was not only try to glue the sides together with the cake icing.. but also filling in the gaps.   Also this lovely house had twizlers for the roofing.  You know like hard licorice.  Once I got the thing to stick together, which was a chore. (the sides keep trying to slide in.)  After taking the roof off twice..and smeared frosting on the corners… and replace the roof.. I smeared frosting all over the roof and every nook and cranny   Slide the house over to the older one and said have at it.. and remember do what ever you want to do…it is your gingerbread house.. so put what you want.  He looked at me and said.. anything?  I said yes.. anything, how ever you want to .. it is yours to do .. there is no wrong way, because it is yours to do.. The only one who has to like it, is you.. ok.. OK, he said with great gusto.  And he did. He had the twizler






sticking up and some laying down, he borrowed his brothers beads and snow.. and sprinkled it all over.  He was thrilled with it.  Now these may not be the regular houses, but they are theirs.. and they loved it and laughed.  They had frosting all over themselves, the table, and the snow stuff was all over the floor and the beads were rolling off the table on to the floor. They had a blast.. they did it their way.  So as you look.. remember that. 
Oh, yea.. I think the beads are going to be like pine needles after Christmas...  as I had swept the floor really well, after we were done..  only to step barefooted on one early this morning..  


 

 

 

 

 

No comments: