Monday, July 24, 2023

I HAVE SLEPT SINCE THEN…

I have slept since then.... 

As my good friend..  gal pal Lorraine use to say…” I have slept since then.”.  it is a saying I borrowed.. oh, heck … I stole from her..  it works great when I can’t remember stuff.. 

A few years ago, I gave up the ship on remembering names..  I use to do pretty well with word associating.. meaning if your name sounded like another word or even a name of another person, that I knew pretty well.. I found a way to remember it with the person’s name.   Like one woman who I met at church.. her name was Marilyn….  So my brain went into the association mode…  like in Marilyn Monroe…  but shorter.. and that is how I remember her name after that..  I told her that many years later and we laughed.   But a lot of times my memory chamber goes..  “I won’t see this person again, so no need to remember the name”.  but the worse of that is.. I don’t even remember it long enough to the end of the conversation..  Meaning I can not say….  So nice to met you Joanne… because the memory bank is empty..  and don’t remember what her name is…   Now I just admit it..   “I’m sorry, but my memory is not as good as it use to be..  could you refresh my memory..  with your name…  And 99% will do so..  One of the great things about being old..  no one expects a lot of  you.. lol.. 

I use to be pretty good at it.. I could meet you 20 years later after meeting you one time.. and have your first name correct, and where and when and what we talked about 20 years ago.. Now I can’t remember 20 seconds ago.

I am guess it is because at the age of 83.. my brain is so full, of so much stuff and crap.. there isn’t any room really left.. So can’t put anymore data in there.

Hope you are doing better than me..  but try the association bit in the meantime..  it works.. while you still have some room here.  After that, bit the bullet and admit, you aren’t good at names. 


No comments: