Monday, November 20, 2023

Start of the holidays..

Start of the holidays.. 

We are heading into the long stretch of holidays… Thanksgiving…Christmas and New Years… Times of joy we hope. But I do remember for many years that some were times of fighting..  in family fighting. So many stories of a the different generations, gathering at the same table in the same house..  Some went off to make many memories. Loving memories.. and some were tales of battles between the generation or siblings. Mostly with grandparents watching..  children watching some times in horror.. While the inbetween generations argue hot and heavy thru it all.

Christmas comes with a week or so of good will.. Joy, wishing each other  MERRY CHRISTMAS  thru the times of shopping for that special gift. The dinners at work, the dinners of the family.. smaller gathers family.. Dinner with friends.  Some families who come from afar to be with ageing parents.  Many years ago, it was still about the gifts.. but it was more about the time together.. And the surprise of the gift on Christmas morning no matter how small.  Sadly that is not so these days.. it is about the gift, by who can buy the biggest gift.. the most expensive gift..  and the gathering is in the back ground…

When I had children still living at home.. we would stay home.. no traveling by the kids and I to family homes..   and I did not want family joining us. This was protection for my kids..  After seeing family gatherings at one home to have the visiting children…. breaking new toys of the children who lived in the house..  (yes, mine too)  I decided..  we would celebrate by ourselves..  to let the kids enjoy their bounty of the day… I encourage the father to go visit his local family, have coffee and enjoy his time with his family.. with out stress.. Just my thing. 

I keep hoping the holidays will be better.. and in some families it is still a great time of joy.. And if they can leave politics out of the day…it can be done. 

So I will break the wording.. of argument…   I am going to wish you all..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS…   (too long to list them all) 

No comments: