Monday, May 18, 2009

I miss the old newspapers

While yard saling this weekend with my sister-in-law, I came to
this one box.. I would have loved to have taken home the whole box.
He had promised many of the papers to someone else. But he did
tell me, he would let me have any 3 of the Spokesman Review I wanted.
I chose 3 of which two were 1945 and one was 1955.

As I read them, a sadness came across me. And I said to my
s-i-l, you know what is sad about these papers, is the comparison
of the ones we get now. So look at these papers and tell me what
made me sad, and what the difference is...

Here is June 1, 1945

Here is May 18,2009
which kind of surprise me as isn't this the anniversary of Mt. St. Helens's blow?


Ok, here they are side by side, can you tell? No, it isn't the color...

And no, it isn't because the newer one is thinner, (I was surprised by how much)




Ok, now I have folded them... look, can you see the difference now?? just looking at the
top of the pages?




The difference that sadden me was the amount of news. Looking at the bottom one you

can count 9 different stories... the newer one? 2 not counting the promo on top.

There is 4 inches just for the headline. Guess there isn't much news today.

It is the same story inside... column after column of news...

Second had 17 articles of news...and a quarter of the page was ads in

the old one. The new one, had 2 and the rest of weather. half a page of

weather. Local, national and world weather.

Back page had 13 pictures of mostly to do with funerals of our

service men. From France to USA, pictures of the dead and etc.

It is after Memorial Day.

New one had one article and 3 continue articles and 1/4 ads.

1 comment:

Old Newspapers said...

This is a great article written by you and the differences you have observed here are too brilliant. Even, i am fond of reading old newspapers and i loved reading your article too.