Tuesday, September 21, 2021

I am so lazy …compared to my ancestors

I am so lazy …compared to my ancestors

 As I was getting some tiny tomatoes ready for stewing. I was picking off the tops, Forgot what they are called..  But as I was doing it… I was thinking how did my grandmother’s do this?  Prepare food for canning, as they didn’t have freezers in those days… I would be lost without my freezers. 

Now the King does canning.. and does pretty well.. He learn from his Mom.  He helped her which made it so he could do it with instructions from her, as she was in bed or in a chair, when she was sick.   Me, I do jams.. 

I did tomatoes about 50 some odd years ago.. I clean the jars, using boiling water, and blanched the tomatoes and pulled the skin off.. put them in the jar and fill up ½ inch from the top, put on the lids.. tighten down the rims… put them in the pressure cooker. Took them out later, after the time mention….  And put them on two towels and one over the top… Check in the morning… NOT ONE DAMN LID SEALED!! … did I mention I have no patience what so ever..   There I was with 24 quart jars of unsealed tomatoes… for got what I did with them.

So I shred zucchini, and put 2 cups at a time in each container.  As that is what the recipe calls for. Put them in the freezer until winter. Then I make bread in November when it feels good to have the oven on.  Use to make 20 or more loaves for Christmas basket gifts. Don’t do that anymore..  so I keep enough for about 12, and give some to family, off and on. 

And I stew tomatoes and put them in containers in the freezer, and then make marinate sauce when it is nice to have a warm stove.. Or oven over night at 200. 

We are doing less plants as we aren’t eating a lot of squash anymore.  Use to like summer squash. Peppers haven’t do so well of late.

But anyway, was thinking about my grandmothers, and how they would peel and cut up, or snap beans .. huge pots of it.

While they made bread, that had to rise and fall and rise again. Plus start making things for dinner by 3 to have it ready by 5… 


Geesh, I am lazy…. None of this appeals to me anymore.

No comments: