Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Labor Day of past

Labor Day of past

Over the many years of my adult life… Labor Day was the signal of the end of summer.. Going back to my folks, and I continued as an adult.. We open the summer with May 31, with a back yard cook out. With many cookouts to follow....Then on September’s first Monday, we ended the summer with a back yard cook out.

But over the last 4 or 5 years.. it has faded into the past.  Both of them…I don’t know why? I know there are plenty of families who still do it.. but also quite a few who don’t. 

I think the less older generation in the family, the less chance of their being a back yard cook out.  The younger generation tend to think of Labor Day as the last hurrah at swimming, boating, and riding 4 wheelers and etc.  Racing cars and etc. Some towns have their Labor Day Rodeo…     Ellensburg,Washington is one of those.

And is covid the blame as well?  Last year, 2020 we were not allowed to celebrate holidays together with multi-generations.  Like Memorial Day cook outs, 4th of July cook outs and etc…  Did a lot of families decide that it wasn’t worth the trouble of it all?  Will Thanksgiving and Christmas follow?

As I have said this year… THOSE WERE THE DAYS, MY FRIEND…

 Did you celebrate? Or was it just another day to you?

 

No comments: