Monday, September 13, 2021

I CAN NOT HOP…

I CAN NOT HOP…

When in elementary school, we played like all kids do.. Hop Scotch..  You know.. hop 1, hop 2, hop 3 then double hop 4 and 5 at the same time.. then 6 and etc.  to Home and then turn around and hop back.  I played hop scotch with the best of them.. did it with my kids at playgrounds.. even one of my grandkids..  So when the great grand son came home from open house at school and drew on my walk way, a tiny diagram of hop scotch…. I showed him the regular size one.  After drawing it all out, with about 14 inch boxes.. I proceeded to show him how to play. I told him you had to hop on one foot to each square and then both feet at the double squares and return to one foot on the next one (6) and then double footed and single footed.    Then I had him stand beside me at number 1.. I stood on one foot (not well, but held my own..) and then proceeded to hop one time .. not good at all.. had to put my other foot down..  Told him, I had not done this for a while.. so out of practice.. So then I went to show him how to hop from 1 to 2. That is when my knee did not hold well, and again my other foot came down to hold me..  To tell you that I was surprised is not true.. I WAS SHOCKED… WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN?  I CAN NOT HOP ON ONE FOOT!!!!  Oh, the embarrassment… the down fall of emotions..

So then I told him how to do it.. I asked him if he could stand on one foot… he showed me that he could… I asked him if he could hop. He showed me that he could stand and hop. So I told him, ok.. now hop into number 1 and don’t put your foot down. He did it, but was wobbly. So I held his elbow and told him to continue on.. and then double hop to the number 4 and 5..  

He was wobbly and I told him it takes practice.. So he was going to do that, then Mom said they were going home..  We bid all good bye…

I went back to the walkaway, gave it one more try.. NOPE..  I  CAN NO HOP… and I am not even going there with hoping on one foot and bending down to pick up the stone you throw to the square.

When I told my friends on Facebook, about it, some asked me if I was crazy and trying to break a hip.. Some even tried, and did a little bit better than I. Others said, no way they were not going to try..  AND THEN my cousin asked me… if I could skip.  Hadn’t thought about that and I haven’t tried it yet.. worry about the downfall of my childhood.. what if I can’t remember how to skip?


WELL, CAN YOU HOP? Or even skip?  Let me know

 


No comments: