Monday, November 14, 2022

Cleaning more out of the junk….

Cleaning more out of the junk… oh, I mean the good stuff.

Some of the gems I came up with, cleaning under my desk, which is a catch all in my bedroom..    As it is stacked with stuff on top and the drawers have stuff.. and where your legs go.. well, that has a lot of stuff too..

I was looking see where I put my left over Christmas cards from last year.  They weren’t in the boxes out in the garage.  And a lot of times over the years.. I have them in the house. On top of the file cabinet or varies of places.  But yesterday, I could not find any.. so that means I will have to actually BUY Christmas cards at full price. Heavens to Betsy..  I never do that..  But there is none to be found.

But what I did look thru and found other things.. was the leg room under the desk.   And what a bounty I found..  Well, I am guessing that I thought so .. when I put them there..   Because now they are ranked with JUST STUFF.

In that stuff..  I found 2 NEWSWEEK..  one of them is 10 years old and it is the LAST ISSUE..  and that is the reason I kept it.   Who knows it could be worth money some day… but I doubt that.  The other one is 42 years old.. 1980… the blowing of Mt. St. Helens..

It is a hoot to read these…  well the ads are..  But the Last issue of the Newsweek, is a walk down memory lane for the reporters and etc.  For the big stories they worked on up to the last one..  The 9-11… the Clinton story… (that they held off from reporting right away)..   but the ideas of how they handled each story.  The rivalry of them and Time magazine. 

The other magazine is the blowing of MT ST. HELEN… there is a few other things there.. which was.. interesting…. Love Canal story.. remember that??? Story of the beatings in Liberty City, Florida  beatings in South Korea ..protest of the military General Chon Too Hwan… (I don’t remember that) and the story of the baseball strike.   Some stuff I remember.. some I don’t.  But it was interesting.. 

But even more so..  There were lots.. and I do mean lots of cigarette ads in the magazine.  AND the ads for electric typewriters.. … no no… no computers..   pocket recorders.. lol.. copy machine but no printer.. Oh, yea… even back then, there is an article… Do Moral Values belong in school?

This wasn’t about what they argue about now.. this was about moral judgments.. that they thought belong in churches and homes.. not school..  The more things change.. the more they are the same.

Now I got to figure out what to do with these magazines.. after all too good to just throw away..   Do you want them?

No comments: