Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Traveling thru the land...


Traveling thru the land….

I use to fly.  I don’t anymore.. too much hassles and way too much money…

But one of the things I love to do when flying was look out at the window.  I always requested a window seat. In those days you could… and being most want an aisle seat, it was fairly easy to get one. 

What I liked about it.. was looking down over the land.. Seeing so much farming land. Especially when I was going across the mid-west. There is also so much unused land.. like mountains and lakes. Yes, there were a lot of homes around the popular lakes, but there is still some lakes that one would have to hike into.   I hope all those places are still in natures hands.  As I haven’t flown for 10 years or more.

When we traveled from Idaho to Wisconsin about 10 years ago.. it was so beautiful to see so much farm land in not only North Dakota and Montana, but also in Minnesota, Wisconsin as well.  Corn fields, oh, my gosh… as far as the eye could see. We travelled across on hightway 72 I think.. not the busy highway 90. I can only imagine Indiana and Nebraska.

And every time we go to see the kids on the coast of Washington, it is so great to travel on highway 90 from Ellensburg to outside of Spokane. Field after field of produce.. A lot of the farmers have signs hanging on their fence with what ever is being grown in there.  From alfalfa to peas, potatoes, corn and onions.

It saddens me, when I see a farm go to the wayside into housing or malls like they have over in Tri-cities in Washington.  We really need to keep our lands free and open.  We need it for the fresh air, we need it for the products that are grown there and keep away from foreign products. Especially when we can grow them right here in the USA.

I seen it happen in my home state. I lived on an island called Aquidneck with 3 towns… Portsmouth, Middletown and Newport.  The first two being farming towns.. but no longer as true.. as so many of them have been turn into the housing and mall areas.. when the children of the farmer isn’t interested in farming. 

No comments: