Monday, July 03, 2023

Covid or the Times?

Covid or the Times?

Here it is.. tomorrow.  The 4th of July…  MY all time favorite holiday.. better than any other…

Mornings are parades which I love  .. especially if it has a marching band… and love the floats…  the joy of it  all. 

Second is the afternoon ..   bar b que’s .. potato salad, macaroni salad, devil eggs,   chicken , ribs .. hot dogs, hamburgers… what’s not to love about that kind of food.. to share with friends and family..

Third is fireworks..  all the kid in us .. love fireworks.. I have taken my kids to fireworks since they were babies..  They all love fireworks..  Some of my son’s have had great fireworks.. and the oldest one.. for years has had the best of all..  where his neighbors have challenged him …  the fire works going off  back and forth over the streets ..    until one ran out and would join the winner.. which 99% of the time it has been my oldest son.  Last year he took it to the river.. because of fire hazards…  after he said it was the last one he was doing..  just wasn’t as much fun as it use to be.

But town fireworks have come to be a shell of what it was..   Now most last 10 or 15 minutes. Waiting for two hours to see 10 minutes..  Have gone to the highest hill in the area so we could see the sky ones.  But not anymore..  who wants to wait for hours for minutes worth..

This year, my heart just isn’t into it..  My legs are not what they use to be..  I use to park outside of the parade area by 6 blocks.. Walk back to where they started the parade.  I had a place I could stand on a porch of a closed up building. And take pictures without other people’s head in them.    And when the last four or five ones came down the road, I headed out.. taking pictures as I passed the last of the parade..  by the time I got close to where my car was.. the first of the parade was coming by.. and I was in my car headed for home.. before the parade had ended..  One year the King and I were in it.. in his red car..   One year he and our grandson was in it with his 47 Ford pickup..  

But I can’t walk that far anymore.. 

I use to go to Clark Fork every other year..  it is a small town with a great small town parade like we use to go to as kids..  But the last time we went.. the people were rude. We would place our chairs at the edge of the curb.. Which gave me plenty of room to take pictures.. but the last two times people sit in front of us . on the street..  and the last time.. it was horrible..  People would not only sit in front of us.. but a lot of them. Would stand in front of me..  Excuse me.. SENIOR CITIZEN  here..  I got ugly stares when I say, excuse me.. but I can’t see.   Couple said..  oh well, too bad.  Stand up too.   Well, for one thing I am short.. so that doesn’t do me a lot of good.  Just guts the fun out of it.

So I didn’t go last year.

I don’t know if it is the covid theme or just the way people are and the times anymore..  but I just don’t feel up to it..  Not fun anymore.   

No comments: