Tuesday, May 04, 2021

May the force be with you… lol..

Little humor thrown in there.. 

I think I am becoming my grandfather.. I think I might have mention that years ago.. but at the age of 81, I think I am a little more serious now.. 

You know the typical… grandfather words…  ‘WHEN I WAS A YOUNG MAN….  Or  WHEN I WAS A BOY..  

I don’t use those exact words.. and I don’t think I actually say them..  But I sure think them..   as I think about how this is not the world I was born in.. Or this is not the world I was raised in. 

Even more so.. I have become very comfortable watching the Walton’s.    I use to watch when it first came out years ago.. And I enjoyed it..  Enjoyed the family part…  But of late, I see it at noon… old repeats from years ago..  About a time I remember some…and knew about others.  The beginning for World II was more from my parents as I was 1 ½,  when Pearl Harbor was bombed.   But to see the family around the radio, because it was before television.  I remember that. We didn’t get a television until I was about 10 or 11.

I remember working in Mom’s victory garden as they were called in those days.  She did something called straw flowers that she sold to a local store. But there was lots of veggies to have to weed thru. That was my job, as my brother was too little.  Mom canning tomatoes, beans, peas, squash, and other veggies. I remember seeing down in the basement, lines of shelves with canning jars full, for us to eat thru the year. Also there was meat canned.  Because it was before we got a freezer. Not even one in the refrigerator.  I think I was about 14 when we got an out and out freezer. You know the ones that were long, with a lid. And when you got something out from near the bottom, you wonder if you were going to fall in. At least for me, as I was short. Still am. 

The Waltons brings back lots of memories of times that were really rough.. getting thru the depression, then World II, yet family stuck together.  Worked hard together.  I know when I was raising my kids, and sometime it was pretty rough, but we made it thru it. The kids all helped.. boys or girls, no job was gender related. 

Makes me yearn for those days, where people didn’t cuss each other,  rarely name calling, unless it was a small child, and as a parent you put a stop to that. Time when most people were honest, and helped your neighbor .

As Archie and Edith sang,  THOSE WERE THE DAYS.  If only our grandchildren could have had that childhood, and especially our great grandchildren.   

Makes me sad to watch sometimes, as you almost forget when the world was a better place for us.  

 

No comments: