Monday, November 22, 2010

The GooseThanksgiving...

In the past, I have told about Thanksgiving at my parents,
and at my Aunt and Uncle’s… which will
stay in my heart and mind all the rest of my mind.

But there are the little Thanksgivings too…one which is
the time my deceased husband decided we were going to have
goose for Thanksgiving.. He didn’t like turkey all that
much… So that year, in Rhode Island, he got a goose.

No, no, not the store bought kind… He was a hunter, so
he went out and shot one.. brought it home.
He defeathered, and cleaned it out. I took one look at it
and I bought a turkey for the rest of us.

Don’t get me wrong. I have always ate what Marv shot.
but you had to be there… the kids took one look and
started to laugh. I went over to see what was up. I am
telling you, that goose must have came across with
Columbus. I thought goose had a large breast on them.
more so than a turkey.. but this goose, the poor thing,
had a very high breast BONE… and the breast were
as shallow as 1920 flapper dancer. I asked him, is that how
they really are suppose to look? He said it wasn’t bad.
And he was eating goose. No problem… that was the
Year of the Goose and Turkey Thanksgiving… and I
saw him sneak some turkey meat… but the goose was
the most pathetic thing I ever saw… and there was no
more talk of goose for Thanksgiving… Venison? Yes, but
no goose…

I will be having a full house of 12 around our table this year.
I have one son with his family up visiting thru the holiday,
but he decided to have dinner with friends. I am sure his
little ones will have a better time there… nothing is more
boring for little guys than 12 adults talking…
So we have been enjoying his family ,they came Thursday,
and will leave next Friday. So I won’t be blogging the rest
of the week, as I enjoy my grandchildren.


So I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving, with lots of good
food, good friends and family and laughter heard thru your house.
And remember to take a minute before you start your meal, to
remember all the things you are thankful for in your life and others.
Me?

I am thankful for my family… all of them.. children, grandchildren, and
great grandchildren. I have been so blessed… I am thankful for a man
who tolerates my attitudes when they surely could be better.
I am thankful for all the troops, men and women, who are overseas…and
my heart goes out largely to their families who will have to depend on
family and friends to get thru this holiday. And I am thankful for God, with
His patience with me, and helping me thru these health test that I have
endured and will go thru… I am truly a piece of clay, in his hands… and
I have promised to try to keep my fingers out of the clay..

God bless… be safe, be health… and remember patience in the crowds.

No comments: