Monday, November 15, 2010

Of Winters Past....

As winter starts to raise its head, it brings back
memories of winters past.

I like snow, I don’t like ice. And now that I am
retired, it is really nice. I don’t have to drive
when it is nasty. I can stay home and look out
the window, with hot tea in my hand… and
admire the beauty of it all.

A good winter has 4 feet of snow. That is what I
like. It packs against the house and helps it keep
warm. I can remember as a kid that people use to
stack bales of straw around their houses up to the
windows. Especially those who were out in the
middle of the farm land and the wind could whip thru.

We use to take our wheelbarrows out of the barn
after doing a stall and put it against the barn until we had
it covered around the north and east sides. Other wise it was
down the trail and up the ramp to the manure pile.

Many winters was full of sleds and then later snow
mobiles. With snow angels, even in the middle of the
night. Many of mid night calls were to my kids as we
would go out and do snow angels, or play in the snow.
Sometimes, especially when they got older….when they
would refuse to get out of a warm bed, until I shamed
them into joining me.

Yes, winter is still fun, and I still do snow angels, just not
in the middle of the night anymore….maybe I should…
Never too old for snow angels....

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

I'm not a winter person. I always have to deal with the pipes freezing over the hot water tank. They are wrapped but that doesn't seem to help and I put a clamped light over them too but last winter that didn't help either. I don't know what I'll do this year.