Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The good and the bad of Hurricane Harvey

As we see on the news, the horrors of Hurricane Harvey and the rains that come with it, and seem to be sitting over the coast of Texas.

This is not their first rodeo … Texas coast line has had many horrible hurricanes come to their shores over the years.
So I have to wonder when I see the pictures… why weren’t they more prepared. The home owners, I mean.

If the weather man in my area, told me.. that a Hurricane is coming my way.. and having experience it many times before.. that the forecast was for 24 inches of rain over night..  I am sorry, but I would have all my things packed in my truck in boxes.. I would put all my things I wanted to keep but not be able to take, stacked on top of the table and anything else I had.  If I had a two story house.. I would have  them on the second floor so I could get them later.. and hope no one looted the house. And the 12 hours before the storm was due, I would be heading out of town and to higher ground… way in land…. I would be a believer… So why didn’t these people do this?

One of the worse pictures I saw was 3 feet of water in the living room of a nursing home, with the residents there.. with their feet and legs underwater..  to me, that is elder abuse.. That reads LAWSUIT to me.. if it was my family member and I lived out of town.. I would be suing for a suite at a good hotel, and a around the clock nursing for them.. for the rest of their lives.  That was so disgusting…

On the other hand.. in this world of ours of late.. the hatred and fighting and protesting.. it was heart warming to see so many people helping others.  Boats coming out of yards to go up and down the neighborhood, giving rides to others to dry land. Men carrying children as well as adults thru the water.  Those with cell phones, up on top of tall buildings, directing the police and fire dept.. and others to those who were stranded thru out the town.  All pulling together.. THIS IS THE AMERICA I REMEMBER…

  

No comments: