Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The importance of hugging…


The importance of hugging…
Leo Buscaglia, who was a professor in California, I
believe… talked and wrote a book about hugs and
how important they are.  He started his speeches and ended up writing about  it after one of his students commit suicide.

I am from a family.. meaning my brother, mother and father, who did not hug.. Never that I can remember.  But my father’s sister was a hugger, so I got use to hugging people. After seeing him on several talk shows … talking about how important hugging is.. I hugged people more.   I have gotten so I ask, as some people don’t like you in their space. Which is kind of a shame.  As I believe everyone should get hugs. Sincere hugs, that is… 

Years later, as a certified nurses aide… I found it is so true. There was a woman, who I gave a hug to.. and she hung on to me for at least 3 minutes.. When we backed away, she had tears in her eyes… and told me thank you for hugging her. That she had not been hugged for over 10 years when her husband died. And that it felt so good.  So from then on, I would, when possible.. give hugs.  Even to those who were bed ridden. 

After leaving the nursing home.. I did the same in home health jobs.. Men and women.. each one had the same reaction… I also hug my kids.. all the time.. every time I leave them.. I hug them and tell them I love them.  One never knows if you are going to see that family member or friend again..

So when you can.. (and do make sure they aren’t offended) hug each friend or family as you leave them.  A hug means I care about you… I hope you are well,  You are not alone all in one hug.   

The sad thing is ….. in this day and age, one does not hug children unless you are a parent or grandparent..  There has been so many sick people out there.. who make hugging a sin, an intent to do harm. Even a bus driver can’t hug a child on the bus, if they fall and get hurt. That I find sad.. nothing tells a child that they will be ok, like a hug.

No comments: