Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Lent… past & present


Lent… past & present

I was raised a Episcopalian… the middle one.. as there were some Episcopalian churches that were close to the Catholic church.
Then there was the other that was more relaxed..   I was told ours was the middle.. which means we did a lot of what the Catholic’s did but not as much.. We did the standing praying, and then down on our knees on the rail near the floor on the back of the bench that was in front of us… Up and sing.. down and pray.. heck, I got a lot of exercise during service.  We had communion first week of the month. We had to take lessons as young teens.. and we did do LENT… we had to find something to give up for the 40 days and nights.
I remember giving up candy… which was easy.. I wasn’t a candy type person… Gave up meat with one of my Catholic friends.. much to my mother’s displeasure, at dinner time.  So it was the usual give up something and hope you didn’t mess it up.

As an adult.. I wasn’t so much into it as I was busy raising kids.. I was still a Christian, just not a church going one..  Celebrated Easter, Christmas and half heartedly did Lent.. 

Last year, I did the clothing Lent… that is giving up 40 items in 40 days…  To the benefit of the women’s shelter…  The first 10 was easy… second 10 days wasn’t too bad.. 3rd 10 days, was a crunchier but doable. 4th 10 days… was hard…  I don’t know why, as I have too many clothes, that I rarely use.(you know the.. someday I will wear this). so you would think it would be easy. But got to say I enjoyed that Lent better than others.. as it was for the benefit of others..

This year.. I got a Lenten Devotional to read each day..Figured giving my soul a teaching would be better than giving up something.   I don’t know why, I still do Lent.. even when it was half-hearted… but I feel I should… Old habits die hard, I guess.. 

No comments: