Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Parades, that I miss…


Parades, that I miss….

I miss the Bristol, Rhode Island Parade…
As far as I know, it is the oldest parade in the USA.
I have been to see it many times as a kid.. but not as
an adult..   Maybe I should put that on a bucket list, if
I ever make one.. 
I even worked the parade.. meaning a friend of the family use to sell balloons, batons, kewpie dolls and etc…  and I helped him two years in a row.. So I got to see the parade and sell balloons.. there is a picture somewhere of me selling them at the parade.

What I miss mostly was not only the big floats, that they did, almost like the ones at the Rose Parade.
But even more.. the marching bands..  Love the music, the drums… watching the majorettes toss the batons and catch them..  Yes, the music..

Sadly this year, there was only beating on 5 gallon buckets for live music at the Sandpoint parade.  I remember when the high school kids use to march in the parade.. I worked at the nursing home next to the high school.. and love hearing them practice in the back field..  

Parades just aren’t like they use to be.. Even the Rose Parade has been lacking..  and Macy’s Thanksgiving parade..  they have marching bands.. several of them.. but we are at the mercy of the television show that is at the parade.. The camera whizzes by when the marching bands come…and stay when some person is on the back of some truck signing.. I don’t want to see a music concert.. I want to see floats and marching bands.. have a special show for the latest Broadway show.. don’t rain on my parade with your commercial of those shows.. or those stars in California..

Stepping down off box..

No comments: