Monday, August 04, 2008

Godparents, do you have one?

Do you have Godparents?
Do your children have Godparents?
Are there people who are still asked to
be Godparents?

As you can see from my profile, I have
8 children... all grown now and parents
themselves. And none of them have
Godparents. I didn't make a conscience
decision to not have them for them. I
just never thought about it one way or
the other.

Which is odd it's self, as I had two
Godmother's, but never heard if I
had a Godfather. Which is weird too.

My two Godmother's were related
somehow, as they both had the same
last name, I think. Not really sure
about that either now. See I really never
knew them.

I went to my class reunion in 1957,
and while there, I decided to look up,
my Godmother's. I don't even know
how I knew where to look for the first
one. And that one showed me how to
get a hold of the other.

One lived in an assisted living place.
She was a beautiful woman with
lovely white hair, and dressed to the 9's.
Her apartment was beautifully done. She
was in her 80's

Of the two, she was the one I remember
the best. Because I had not seen these
women since I was about 4 or 5, even
though we lived with in 10 miles of each
of them.

I had a nice visit with Maude.
And she told me how to get a hold of
the other one. I wrote to Maude and
sent pictures that I took of her. Never
heard back from her.

The other one lived in a condo like
place. Very nice. She was a little more
suspicious of why I was there. I thought
of telling her, my mother had passed away,
(she had 7 years before) and I was there
for her to take care of me...but had second
thoughts, as I didn't know what her sense of
humor was like. She was kind of quiet and
direct to the point in all of her conversation.

I had told both of them, I was sorry I missed
out on their lives. And I wished them well, and
it was nice to meet them. And I left for home
in Idaho. They never wrote. I guess they were
just glad they didn't have the responsibility.

Never understood why they were chosen. I
know they were somehow connected to my
mother but not my father. Old family friends?
Not girlfriends of my mother. And why they
weren't active in my life I don't know. Maybe
they were scared they would be stuck with me.

My brother lucked out. He got my Aunt. Or I
should say, our Aunt. I think our uncle was the
other person. I lucked out as I moved to the
same state as our Aunt and she was more
like a mother to me. But she always was active
in my brother's life. Gifts, phone calls and etc.
Maybe mine were names in a hat, that got chose.
(smile)

So do people still chose Godparents? Do they
get chose when the child is just a mere baby?
I was told I screamed thru the whole process.
We were Episcopalians. So it was at the baptism.

Anyway, I don't hear of people saying "my
Godmother, or Godfather (unless they are
referring to mafia types). I don't even know
if any of my grandchildren have them.. I think
I will ask.

So do you have one? What is the relationship?
Aunt, Uncle, best friend?

1 comment:

PinkAcorn said...

My two oldest boys have Godparents. My sis is Godmother to my oldest and she's pretty good as far as being a part of my son's life. His Godfather is clueless...My brother is Godfather to my second son,he and his counter part (sister in law) are both clueless...Needless to say I didn't have Godparents for the third son.