Friday, August 01, 2008

What is in your???

You have heard the ads for Capital One
credit card... "what is in your wallet?"

Right now I am a little more concern about
what is in my grocery cart.

We have heard for the last several weeks or
so, the concern about tomatoes. How
people were getting very sick and they suspected
for all those weeks, it was tomatoes. So the
tomato farmers were hit hard, and it wasn't their
fault.

As they said, oh, no, maybe it isn't the tomatoes.
it is the Jalapeño peppers... so then all the restaurants
had signs, not using Jalapeño... from Mexico. Just
like they did with the tomatoes.

This week it comes out that is a serrano pepper from
Mexico, they have more proof of it.

Of which one of my friends brought up a interesting
question. Salmonella in pork, beef, chickens, yes..
but in vegetables? Tomatoes, peppers?? How is that?
We couldn't figure that out. Which my light came on
in my head... remembering that Mexico does not
use animal manure...but humans.. of which we went.
EEEEWWWWWWWWWW.

Then tonight as I cut open the little watermelon we
bought, (can't afford the big ones) I noticed a label
on it... it said Bambino in large letters, which to me
that is an Italian word. Little letters said watermelon
then followed by slash melon d'eau. and sans pepins.
Which I gather was meaning seedless as that was
at the top. Says it is a product of U.S.A. but then it
is followed with produit des e-u. Isn't that French?
Says it is packed for a US company in MN, but doesn't
say where it is grown. Is that France, or Canada?

And there are a lot of veggies and fruit, with no label
on them at all. I must be naive, as I thought all summer
veggies and fruits were local. Meaning in the Northwest
states.

I guess I am getting gun shy.

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

Can you really get watermelons without the pips???? I LOVE watermelon but we rarely buy it cos I hate all the pips.....

Over here all fruit and veggies have to be labelled with country of origin and loads of other stuff.....

x