Wednesday, August 20, 2008

THE SHACK

A couple of months ago, I was at a
retirement party, when I was in a
conversation with a mutual friend of the
retiree, who had health problems. He said
he got a lot of peace of mind and was over
whelmed by a book he was reading.
And then we got sidetracked by another
person.

After that, I was reading a blog that I
read just about daily, that is run by a
newspaper. And in the comments there
was a comment made about this book,
that the man had read. It helped when he
was watching his child go to Iraq. And he
named the book. And several people had
commented they too, had read the book
and it changed their lives.

There was another friend who happen to
mention the same book, as the commenter.
And how much it effected that person.

While at church, I had asked my first
friend, with the health issues, what was
the name of the book that he had read.

Long and short of it, it was called
THE SHACK. I looked it up, on Amazon.com
to see what the book was about. I was not
impress with the subject. It was about a man
whose child was killed by a man who was a
serial killer.

You have to know me, to know I can't deal with
that. Especially when we have such a person in
the news right now on a sentencing trial.

But something made me go to the local book
store and look at it. I ended up buying two. One
for me, and one for loaning, as I have lost several
books that way. And if this book was that powerful,
as they said, I didn't want to lose this one.

I finished the book this past weekend. It took me
a week to read it, not because it was a big book, but
because of me and the subject. It was hard to read.
Not by the author, but by the subject.

For someone who thinks she has the God thing, as they
say, down pat, I found out I didn't. The book was in line
with my thoughts on God/Jesus/and the Holy Ghost. And
in the beginning of the appearance of God, I was doing pretty
good. But as the book continues, it got a little harder.

See I don't know why God does things, but I have faith in
him, knowing what is best. Even if I don't understand. I even
understand the thoughts of forgiveness for the unforgiveable.
Not for the person who did the unforgivable, but to release yourself
from the hatred, you have to forgive. You don't have to forget..Just
forgive. Not an easy task at all.. and even more notable to me, in
the book.

I am not going to say anymore about the book, as I would like
you to buy or go to the library, get the book and read it. I am
not even sure you will get the same reaction as my friends or I did.
I didn't even get the same reactions as my friends, at least I don't
thinks so...maybe similar. But you do get a better understanding
of life. And that is a good thing... so it is up to you..if you want
to read it or not.

No comments: