Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Kids Parenting Skills...Amazing

As my children are getting older, so
are their children. So now I get to see
my children being parents and their
parenting skills.

The early years can be a little frustrating,
but nothing compared to the teen years.

If you do it right, the first 10 to 12 years,
are not too bad, as you are still in control.
You are still in the drivers seat. Either by
fear or by rationale judgment.

But the teen years takes in a whole new plan.
Sometimes the changes are slow mini changes.
Other times, you might think you have everything
in hand, but one day you find yourself blown out
of the saddle. A lot of it depends on if you are
real active in your child's life or not.

As I watch my children deal with theirs, especially
as older teens, I am truly amazed how well they
are doing. I hope (as only my children can tell if
it is true or not) that I have not open my mouth and
second guess them, verbally. I truly try to let them
be in charge. I feel I had my shot, and now it is theirs.

Even some of the times, I have thought, and only in
the thought process, wondered if they are doing the
right thing. Only to be proven time after time, they are
doing far better than what I think I did.

They have dealt with each episode fairly calm, with
logic, and sometimes with humor. Sometimes to the
child's discomfort, a great deal of humor.

As the years have come and gone, I am always
amazed at their understand, logic, and common sense.
One parent told his child one of the best sayings, that
I have repeated to other parents for a guide line. That
parent said.... "
If you are thinking of doing something, the best gauge you have,
is to ask yourself this question.
"WOULD I DO THIS IF MY FATHER WAS WITH ME?" If
the answer is no, don't do it."

So I have no doubts about the growth of my
grandchildren, their parents are doing a great job.
And I try to tell them so.

2 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Your grand kids will be great adults; they have two generations before them who have shown the way - and shown it well.

MarmiteToasty said...

Sounds like your family doodles for the next few generations are gonna do just fine..... and of course you wont be around for any generations after that LOL

x