Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Letter writing….

Letter writing is almost a lost art.

I am the first to admit, that typing is better for those who read my words..  for I have such horrible hand writing… even I have trouble reading it.   Don’t know if it is because my second year in high school went to typing classes and it is down hill from there.. or what. But I don’t recall having good penmanship in the first place.  The teachers tried, God they tried.. lol

But it isn’t just the penmanship that is missing.. but also the art of writing..  and then there are pictures..  Who has pictures that you can hold in your hand anymore..   very few of us.. myself included.. I have even made copies of the pictures I have on paper and put them on hard drive to save..  But after I am gone what then?  Will the kids throw them away with out looking?  Pictures that are important to me, but not so much to them?

Because still yet… families are going thru boxes of their parents things either before they pass but are put in assisted living, or if they have passed..  and in those boxes are pictures..  Pictures of people that the kids don’t know because they were before them.. or when they were children.  But there are also pictures of their love ones.. and their families of a long time ago.  And then there are letters..  Letters written while the parents were apart..  Letters written to the parents by their parents… showing family history of daily life to  them and thru them.

I came across such a thing, when my oldest daughter passed away this past May.  I keep all the pictures, cards and letter my kids have written to me over the years.   As I was going thru Julie’s letters to me..I thought I would send them to her daughter (my granddaughter) and have her share them with her brothers..  So they could see how life was for a young married…and then later as each of them came.  And as they were growing up..  the frustration at times but also mixed with great love she has for them.  Her daughter loves them..  Also there was some art work that Julie had sent me. I kept one and included that in the package.

As I wrapped it all up in a huge vanilla package… I wondered, about others.. what happens to the letters.. are they thrown away?  How sad.. as there is so much family history of their daily life there… that grandchildren and even great grandchildren would love to know.. 

I mention one time to one of my granddaughter about something that my mother did.. and a grandmother. We ended the conversation (thru messenger) that she would like to learn more..   So next week.. I am going to do a semi series about people in my family. Being I don’t want to send out a bunch.. and some may not want to know.. or care.. so I decided to do it this way..  and maybe after I am gone, they can read it.
It will be called..  “Things about my family that my grandchildren should know.”  After all thru most ancestry lines they learn the names and the order of the names.. but this way they will know something about them as well.. 

So for some of you, it will be boring. You don’t know the people.. and some of you don’t know me..  
Having met me thru blog land, like some of us do..

But the main thing is.. letter writing.. still worthy of doing.. children … small children.. love getting cards, so it doesn’t have to be a long letter.   For good friends.. who still remember letters and enjoy them.. Write. And if you have good penmanship, unlike myself, it will be really appreciated.  

Write a letter… maybe we should have a holiday. Lol but then we do some at Christmas.. but even that has fallen to the open letter typed and put in the card these days.


As I write messages on Facebook Messenger … I wonder how many others do to their children and grandchildren as well…. That are about our daily life… only to be hit with delete after the conversation is over.   Kind of sad.. When 40 years from now.. some of our great, great, grand kids wonder what we were like.. what did we like or not…  just saying… 

No comments: