Monday, November 20, 2017

Before the World was big

There is a song, that I came across yesterday.. called BEFORE THE WORLD WAS BIG.. by a group called Girlpool..
While the song itself is not my style.. the title rang true to me.
The song is about a girl who misses her old neighborhood and her girlfriend.. at least that is what I got out of it, as I listened.                                      

But for me.. the title..  BEFORE THE WORLD WAS BIG… while it doesn’t take me back to my neighborhood, it does take me back to my childhood and my children’s childhood.  Back when life was simpler.  Not only for all of us.. but for the whole world.. During those times there was tragedy in all forms.. especially when my kids were growing up.. as they were growing up in the Vietnam era.  I was born in the WWII area but grew up in the post war times.. until my teens.  Then there was the Korean policing, as they call it.  But that wasn’t in my immediate life.  My parents didn’t mention it.. hardly remember if my government class teacher talked about it.  From first grade to the beginning of high school, we didn’t hear or talk about WWII exept for history classes and it was brushed over just like the history of the Civil war and etc.
Life over all was good in the mid=1940’s and early 1950’s.
The world was not big to a child. The earth was.. but not the world.

When I was raising my children.. we were more into what was around us. Rarely watched the news .. so didn’t see the nightly new of Vietnam.  The mention of J.F.Kennedy in our lives.. we watched television for updates.. after all it was all that was on television for 24 hours a day.  As in those days.. at least for us.. there was only 3 channels…. ABC…CBS…and NBC.    My children were young when JFK was killed.. and we were outside during the days.. and bed at night… So while it entered the lives of adults, it didn’t in the children.

As the children grew.. there was the different broadcast of news of what ever was going on in the worlds.   But we got that news a day or more later than it happen..  The news did not dwell on it, it was a mention.. with updates.. But again.. we weren’t big news watchers, my husband and I. And the kids had chores, or they had homework.. or they were doing things out side. 
So the world was still small to us.. 

Not like today, where everyone knows what everyone else is doing. And any that  is on, every news which now adds up to 20 or more channels.. some of the broadcasting the world news 24 hours a day.. And if there is a tragic news.. of killing in churches, school, nightclubs, western music shows.. it is on the television for all to see for hours..  there is online.. thousands of stories of the latest and horrible…


I MISS LIFE… BEFORE LIFE WAS BIG…. 

No comments: