Tuesday, December 04, 2018

Remember letters in the mail?


Remember letters in the mail?

WOW.. Saw on Facebook an old joke…the first time I read it was when a friend sent it to me in the mail back in 1960 something.. Remember when we use to mail jokes back and forth to each other with letters... (for the younger generation that is a paper with words about your life......and we put ha ha . when it was funny)

Oh, how the world has changed.. now we don’t have to wait to hear the latest.. for the most part it is on Facebook for all to read and see… which is good and not so good.  Seeing my grandchildren and their kids.. and the pictures of all.. is so nice.. Now a baby can come into the family and everyone see the baby…. Near and far… when the baby is minutes old.  Not waiting a week for a letter and years ago, to wait for the pictures to be developed and then mailed out.

Some of the other stuff I see on Facebook makes me cringe. My grandchildren are bolder than I am…and far more able to share things, that I would never share..  But that is what scrolls are for.. to zoom by quickly.  I never say anything to them… as it is their page, and their friends..  so I stay long enough to see the pictures and if I want to say anything, I message them in private .. to find out how they are.. and what they are up, if the pictures don’t show.

But writing is a lost art… even my generation who also wrote, but we also typed.. I had/have lousy penmanship, so typing was better for my reader. 

I had an uncle, who when he retired.. wrote to me every Tuesday… The first time it scared me to death, as it was always my aunt who wrote and she wrote once a month.
I thought maybe she was ill.. so called and found out she was fine, just that my uncle liked getting letters….. and to get letters you have to write.  I loved this uncle.. but he was pretty strict as I was a kid.. you know one of those when they said jump, you asked how high and how far. Lol.. But thru the letters over the years…. We got to be pretty close.. we talked about everything.  So it came to be.. I would write every Saturday, and mailed it.. he would get it on Tuesday.
I miss those letters now… Wish I kept them, to I could go back and read them over. 

That is the nice thing about letters.. you can go back and read them.. just take them out of the box or drawer… Unless you have a way of saving on the computer.. or maybe print them out… emails are gone after you read them..

Look at all the letter service men wrote years ago, during the war.. Letters written.. letters wives waiting for.. taking a week or more to get..  Letters that their family would read 50 years later after the passing of their parents. Yep, writing letters is getting to be a lost art.

No comments: