Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Country Music


Country Music

Have been watching since Sunday night.. Ken Burn’s  series on Country Music.

It started with the 1920 and 30’s .. then 1935 to 1945. and then Tuesday night 1945 to 1953.

Tuesday’s ending with the death of Hank Williams. Mentions of the country music I started to like when I was 16. When all my friends were yelling for rock and roll.. I was watching Johnny Cash on Ed Sullivan show. 
While watching about the rise and fall of Hank Williams, it reminded me that my mother, who hated country music.. did like Hank Williams.

It has really been interesting, as I watch the show. I know how a lot of the music started, and recognize the names who hardly anyone knows now… Didn’t know the Carters got a divorce, and interesting how they started and where all they went to sing. It was interesting to find out that one of the main broadcasters of country music was in Mexico, just across the border.  Because a quack doctor got run out of the USA… that he built huge antennas with the power to broadcast all over the United States.  So he was able to still sell the quack products, using the different country music stars for a draw to listen to his station, thus he could sell his products. And because he did so well, he could pay the stars well. Making 10 times the money they made in the USA.

Tuesday, starts with mid 40s and early 50’s. And the stars that I loved. Ernest Tubb, Hank Thompson, Faron Young, and Kitty Wells.. mentions of Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.
There are  is Hank Williams Jr.. and also Hank Sr. granddaughter. June Carter Cash’s daughter, talking about Mother Maybelle and her daughters.  John Carter Cash, talking about his mom and dad.
And some of the stars who look old. Lol
And when I thought twice about Bill Anderson and Tom T Hall and how old they looked, it dawn on me.. I am old. Lol.

It has been great hearing the stories, and hearing some of the music.. but also sadness, as so many have passed. It is like part of my past has passed away..

I think there are two more shows left.. If you get a chance, watch them.. They are starting with some of the people you might know..

Hank Williams sure wrote some heart wrenching songs.. I am so lonesome I could cry… sure hits the heart strings and bares your soul, even after all this time.




No comments: