Tuesday, September 03, 2019

HELLO SEPTEMBER and memories


HELLO SEPTEMBER..and Memories

The past week and half I have been cleaning out areas.. Areas that I normally don’t get to, and you can tell. The dust behind is embarrassing..

But I did find these two gems…  One is a telephone book that sits under my phone in the bedroom in the cubby hole on the headboard.   I say a gem, and a blow me away.. because I did not realize how long it had been there.  Especially when we bought the house in 1998… and yet this phone book is 1994-1995…  I am in it under by previous name..  So many people that I know passed are in it..  Also it is thicker than the one we use now because so many people gave up landlines and changed to cells.. which are not listed.   Also the reason why I didn’t really know how old the book was,
because it had a plastic cover over it.. and the ads from different businesses..   Which a LOT of these business are no longer here.   So that was my first surprise..  which by the way... GTE no long exist either.. 



Next up, was a piece of  folded up paper that was in a box.  I open it up to see a faded hand writing..  actually printed.. on yellow paper from age.   It is the words that my mother had wrote in answer to a song that was in a movie, starring Bob Hope.. in the 1940’s… The movie, I believe is the same as the title of the song he sang in the movie.. BUTTONS AND BOWS…  So I have here. The original words that Bob sang… and then I put the words that my mother wrote in answer to it…







First Bob’s with credit to the writers and etc…
Buttons & Bows
East is east and west is west
And the wrong one I have chose
Let's go where they keep on wearin'
Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows
Rings and things and buttons and bows.
Don't bury me in this prairie
Take me where the cement grows
Let's move down to some big town
Where they love a gal by the cut o' her clothes
And you'll stand out, in buttons and bows.
I'll love you in buckskin
Or skirts that you've homespun
But I'll love ya' longer, stronger
Where yer friends don't tote a gun
My bones denounce the buckboard bounce
And the cactus hurts my toes
Let's vamoose where gals keep a-usin'
Those silks and satins and linen that shows
And I'm all yours in buttons and bows.
Gimme eastern trimmin' where women are women
In high silk hose and peek-a-boo clothes
And French perfume that rocks the room
And I'm all yours in buttons and bows.
Buttons and bows, buttons and bows
Songwriters: JAY LIVINGSTON, RAY EVANS
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.
For non-commercial use only.






Now for my mothers… words..

Button and Bows (western) 
By Mary Elizabeth Kaull Richardson

An Eastern club is just a substitute for happiness
Give me a one way, a place where someday
I’ll find a little rest.
‘CAUSE….

East is East and West is West and the wrong one I have chose!
Let’s go where you keep on wearing those
Spurs and Levis, western clothes,
Rings and things, not button and bows.
I can’t stand beans or Boston queens and dear Yale I can’t abide
Let’s move down to some small town
Where they judge a gal by the horse she can ride
And I’ll be there with you at my side.
I’ll love you in formals and heels four inches high,
But I’ ll love you longer, stronger where the traffic don’t rush by.
My bones denounce the sambra’s bounce
And the sidewalks hurt my toes
Let’s vamoose where there’s no use for
Silks and satin and linen that shows
And you’ll forget your buttons and bows.

Give me western trimming, where women are women,
With no silk hose or peek-a-boo clothes
But high tooled boots and cowboy suits
And you’re all mine, no butts and bows.

Why she never sent it to someone… I don’t know…
And the ironic part of this is….. MY MOTHER.. was a dyed in the wool East Coast person.. she had no desire to ever visit the West Coast.. even though I lived there over 25 years after I left home..   So for her to write Western words for it.. is amazing..

No comments: