Monday, December 30, 2019

At no ones beck and call….


At no ones beck and call….

I repeat.. I am at no ones beck and call…  it does sound  like a snarky remark… and I don’t mean it to be..  but I do not want someone to be electronically attached to me.

I gave up my cell phone…years ago.. right after I retired.  We originally got ours in 1992 … it was one of those suitcase type.. which by the way, I still have.  We had a motor home.. and we had a belt rip apart on it… luckily we had a friend  following us, so we got help.  He took the King to the parts store and got a new belt.. and in an hour we were back on the road.   It was then we decided if we were going to travel in the motor home.. we needed a way to get help.  Cell phones were just coming, and reasonable.  I think we paid $79 for it.. and had Air phone (I think was the name) for the server, that charged $10 a month.  We used is a couple of times, so it was worth it.  Then we got a small Ford pickup and towed that.. But kept the cell phone..  A couple years later they sold out to GTE, and smaller phones.. The King was hooked. Then they came out with the flip phones..  So if you signed up for a 2 year contract.. you got the phone for free.. And at the time, you could get two of them.. As they were in a big push to get people to sign up for 2 year contracts.  So I got one as well.. The King was really hooked by now.. I think it is a man thing,  umbilical cord effect…. but now days I think it is a woman’s thing as I see far more woman with phones attached to their ears… some of them literally.

The only time I miss having one.. and I do have one of the old flip phones in our rig that is not connect to a service… just for the reason why I miss mine.  That is when I am on the road by myself… any length of time.. meaning miles away from home.  In case I break down. But the old one should they say, content me to 911…

When I first got rid of mine, friends told me I would have one back asap…  but I haven’t .. as that is 16 years ago.  See I remember before cell phones.. when you drove down the road and paid attention to your driving..  maybe the only diversion was your radio.  Also I remember not having people calling you everywhere. You are at the park for a walk.. the silence is wonderful.. I guess it would be helpful… if you are at the store, incase you forgot something.. or your other half has, and you can call..  But we live only a mile and half away, I can go back.  And anything that happens, can wait until I get home… I do own an answering machine, so you can leave me a message to call.. but other than that.. I am good…Now the King HAS to have his.. but he does shut it off at about 6pm. And so far he is staying with the flip phone.. smart phone is too complicated for him.. which is good as it is cheaper.. And he doesn’t do internet.    
Nope, don’t need to be at anyone’s beck and call..

No comments: