Monday, May 27, 2024

Memorial Day…

Memorial Day

This is a day of remembering our service men and women.  Some cemeteries will have services, shooting of guns.. taps.  And words ..

When I was young it was on the actual date. May 30th. But President Nixon figured it would be better to have holidays on the nearest Monday.  So it is confusing for some. As we celebrated it for so many years. I even had twin son’s 56 years ago..  ON MEMORIAL DAY.. that was celebrated on the 30th.  So they always had their birthday off. But not anymore..  with the change.

Also I understand it and I get it.. it was the day to remember the military who were killed in wars.  But my dad used that day for going to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves of family.. None military. A tradition that the King and I still do..  Except now we go about 3 or 4 days earlier so not to be in the crowd. 

So for those with military in your family..  May you honor them on this day..  Like they say.. it is not the first day of summer cook outs.. It is to honor those who gave their lives in World War I and II so you can have cook outs.  So honor those who gave their time for you.

No comments: