Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Turn the Radio On

My usual background noise
of the morning is, Good Morning
American (and local channel 4 if
I wake up early) and the Regis
and Kelly.

This morning was local radio stations.
As Spokane stations, for some reason
is not easy to get. Maybe a hard rock,
station. I don't know what was on the
recorder at our local am but it was
boring...maybe that does make good
back room noise, while one catches
up with the news of the paper...

Turning off Dish yesterday,
and waiting for cable to be
connected on Thurs. has us
living back in the radio days.
And limited TV. With us, it is
movies for nighttime. No news
no weather, no Boston Legal.

During the day, the radio is a
back ground noise as well...

Gosh, I miss real local radio
stations of years past. I think at
noon they might have something
that is produced local. But the
rest is from somewhere else, and
recorded junk.

As a kid, there were local personalities.
Some did music, some did call in shows.
Some did interview of other locals. And if
there was a major fire, or anything else,
you knew about it right away. I can remember
sitting with my mother as they talked about
an exploitation on the base where my dad worked
as a civilian service person. And how much his
call meant, when he called 20 minutes later, to
tell us he was ok.

But I guess that is considered hokey now.
We are lucky if we get local news in the 5
minutes at the top of the hour.

The older I get, the more I miss those days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love radio. I'm much more stimulated by music and discussion on the radio than by the television. I have XM satellite radio and it's on 24/7 and gives me a variety of music and news styles to choose from. I'm not promoting it, just saying that I love the radio so much that I pay for it and have it on all the time. Tonight it's Real Jazz and it's that relaxing, comfortable jazz sound.