Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Childhood memories flood the mind


Childhood memories flood the mind

Our bedrooms were upstairs.. my brother and I.
Neither of us was a great, heck, we weren’t even good housekeepers.  And Mom would make inspections from time to time. Especially while we were at school

After several raids, she decided to teach us a lesson, so she picked up everything we left on the floor and put it in a box. 
Then charge us to get it back.

I remember one ugly looking pink corduroy skirt that stayed in that box for quite some time. Mom caught on quickly that we would buy back what we like and left what we didn’t like.

So each piece came available by when taken. Meaning the pink skirt was top of the list of what I could buy back. Until I bought back the skirt… I could NOT buy anything else in the box.

Cost ranged from 5 cents to a dime each.  When your allowance was only a quarter a week, your money could go fast. And when you are a steady customer of the neighborhood penny candy store.. your funds would fade away.
AND buying from the box came first on allowance day.



No comments: