Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Obits are not free.....


OBITUARIES ARE NOT FREE….

As we open the paper each day.. we all look thru the obituaries….  I jokingly say, to make sure I haven’t died yet. 

Some are sad, some are funny.. and some are short and some are long.  You learn about the person, even ones you thought you knew them… the history of their lives.

Today, there was a few.. most of them with the words “obituary will be printed later”. And one.. well, it was almost half a page.  I thought wow.. who is this person?  The person did do a lot with his life. 
But sadly, after writing the obituary for my brother in law… I now know that Obituaries are not free. 

The smallest, with just a little information cost us $125!!   So sad to put a price on ones last act of their lives.  And especially if the family is tight on funds and can’t afford one. 

I wrote mine years ago… I took a class in Hospice, when I was working at the nursing home. One of the assignments was writing your own obituary.  I tried to add humor..  Don’t know if the family will use it or not.
Sure hate to have them use up the whole life insurance to write a decent obit.  And I firmly believe everyone should have one written about them. It shows that the person matter to others.. that they lives mattered.   
Maybe when there is a cold and wet winter day and you have nothing to do.. you might think about writing your own… It is kind of fun… when you know it isn’t going to be use for a while.  Ha ha

No comments: