Monday, May 16, 2005

something stupid or just plain lazy

something stupid....

Last Friday I did something stupid. But I need to
explain something first.

Rokon is my cat. (her name,
is another column another day) and I have
been letting her outside now that the weather is
nice. I wasn't thrilled aboutthis, as I think most
cat's that go outside, end up being roadkill. And
we do live near the road. But she had been good
about staying in the back yard.
Of course it took some yelling and hose spraying
while I was watering plants, to convince her that
the back yard was her safe place.

Then last Thursday afternoon, my sweet husband
let her out the front door.
BAD IDEA. See the screen door on the back, does
not move. It latches. But the front door is the old
wooden kind that just shuts. No latch. So Rokon found
out that if she throws herself on to the screen with
nails dug in, the door will swing open. The vacuum rod
lets it shut slowly. So she jumped down and out the
door she went. She did run to the back yard so that was
plus. But I didn't want her going out the front door.
She might think the front yard is ok too. Sure enough
she scored the front door. Ran around the front yard,
and then discovered the neighbors yard. And trying to
get her in the house was to no avail. So it was hours
later, two yard later, that she decided she would grace
us with her present in the house, after dark.

So Friday, afternoon she sees the front door open and
only the screen door between her and outside. As she
runs for the door, I am sitting in the chair beside it,
reading a magazine. I did a back swing like in tennis to
swat at her. Oh, so wrong... Yes, it stopped her. But
my arm, severe pain. From my elbow to my muscle
or the other way around. I could not lift it up. No matter
which way I turn it, severe pain. Now tears. Being an old
aide, I know the routine. Ice. So got ice. Which was a trick
in the first place, because while I am right handed, I needed
my left hand to help. You know the one hanging down next
to me in severe pain. That I can't lift. Won't even go thru
the antics of one handed ice retrieve from the refrigerator.
But trying to wrap it around my arm and deciding which
area hurt the worse, (the muscle or the elbow) was no easy
task. Boy, do we take doing things with two hands for
granted. Of course Rokon seeing me in pain, made her
escape out the front door, and I didn't care at that point.
Then my sweet husband comes home, sees the cat outside,
and says, why did you let the cat out. Then he went outside, I
think the death stare might have had something to do
with it.

Tiger balm and Ibuprofen got me thru the night. And
Saturday, I am not doing any better. Seem everytime
I wanted to do something the lame arm was in the way,
and of course shot pain as soon as it moved in any direction.
I tried to stretch it, in hopes that would help. Oh, no, and
rubbing it was just as bad. Couldn't ignore it. So Saturday
night I Tiger balm and pills some more, to get thru the night.
Sunday, slightly better but still couldn't touch it. So opt
out of church. Got a e-mail from one of my church
buddies,that afternoon, telling me she missed me. And what a bum weekend
she had. Seems she was getting firewood out of the pickup
bed, and lost her balance and hit her head. Then later she
decided to go for a walk to make her feel better, got looking
at the deer in the field and stepped off the paved road and
twisted her foot. AND she went to church. I FEEL LIKE SUCH
A WHIMP!!. But today, my arm feels better. about half way
back to normal.

But couldn't go walking as it was raining.
So guess I better go work out on the exercise bike.
Geesh, this getting old isn't what it is stacked up to be. lol

No comments: