Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Wondering, but not Worried or Angry

Wondering but not upset.

I know when I receive e-mails from time to time
I get those with the expressions on them. You
know the happy face, the tears, the heart, the
sad face, and mad face and etc.

But from time to time, we have had e-mails that
are written to some one in particular. And then
after a few back and forth, we find out the
person either didn't mean their e-mail like you
took it.....or they took yours not as you intended it.

It has even happen in letters over the years.
Some one misunderstanding what a person
is feeling as they have written it.

But the smiley faces of e-mail doesn't really
give a hint of ones intent. So what do we do
about this? Do we have to put up words before
our paragraphs?

Like the words.... wondering..
just thinking, thoughts to think about?

The part that really bothers me, is being
accused of being upset when I am not. I don't
get this so much in e-mails, as I did in notes of
concern to previous bosses. I did not use capitals.
I did not underline the words. When these
people have talked to me in person, I am not
angry. I am not a person who comes on strong
or aggressive. So why do they automatically
think I am angry or upset? After being accused
of such, I found myself second guessing everything
I wrote. Sometime not even writing because I
figure what was the use.

When I did write the last year or so, I had to
paraphrase everything I wrote with.....
was wondering... or something smiliar.
What do you think about this... do you see this
as problem? Even writing, "I'm joking" or I am
smiling. Being we were going thru directors faster
than children change diapers, I had to keep
ahead of the game each time.

So what do we write when we are just concern,
but not worried? Or wondering and not upset about
things.
Smiley faces seem to makes the message, into a joke
instead of a serious but non aggressive, non angry
message. Have to think about that one for a while.
Some how smiley faces just doesn't do it.
Just wondering....

1 comment:

stebbijo said...

I know what you are trying to say. I post a smiley when I don't want someone to take what I said offensively, but it is not a verbal or face to face world so it can get misconstrued in the mix. It is easy to have a misunderstanding in the email world with no immediate verbal chat to clarify.

A face to face encounter, however might detroy the creative process because we as internet users have a guard when we do not want to KNOW the other person -- but merely use the medium to sound off, vent, or share our thoughts.

As the Angry Commentator, I don't really want you to know me up close and personal -- then you will all know what a really NICE person I am! It would destroy my image!

I like this one -- it is tongue sticking out of mouth! :-p