Monday, October 30, 2006

Now Where Was That?

When you get to be my age, and
you have lived as many places as
I have, sometimes you try to remember
just where were you, when a past memory
comes up.


Like I use to go to this little tiny
building on the corner.
Best hamburgers. They were a
quarter a piece. Which was
unheard of in my home town.
It was White Castle and it had
to be Miami Beach, Florida.

Another hamburger place in a
tiny building. Down by Horton's
Plaza on First Avenue. Had to run
down 12 blocks from 13th Ave. on
a half hour lunch from a suit factory
called Ratner's. There was a bar
called Beanies on Broadway, with
dime size sequins that made the name.
My galpal at the time and I were always
going to go there for our first beer. But
we got married and had kids, so never did.
It had to be San Diego, California.

It was the Ocean Drive, and two gal pals and
I were drinking beer, making stops every so
often to open another beer to share... or a
pee break... we were underage. It had to be
Newport, R.I.

Riding on the back of a snowmobile, on
railroad tracks, doing 95 mph. Leaving
one tavern to head to the next town to
have a beer (this time legal) and play pool
at the Old #3 Tavern. It had to be Roslyn,
heading to Ronald, Washington.

Ah, youth, fleeing youth.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing which wisps of memory stay and what they attach to in our dimming minds, isn't it? I loved these recollections! Love your photos, too.
rp

Mari Meehan said...

Yeah, but White Castles are still around. We used to buy them by the bag full.